The Russian-Ukrainian war is going on not only on the battlefield but also in the media space. And we must admit that the Kremlin is successfully spreading its false narrations as they still get global media coverage.
The first Media Forum, "How to talk about the War?" is aimed to explain how to identify, perceive and confront Kremlin media narrations towards Ukraine. Moreover, the most prominent Ukrainian human rights defenders will provide a profound overview of the systemic repression towards Ukrainian civilian hostages in the occupied territories.
PLATFORM FOR THE RELEASE OF POLITICAL PRISONERS continues its advocacy campaign.
The day before, its second stage took place - the media stage. The media forum "How to talk about war" took place in the Ukrainian capital. Foreign journalists arrived in Kyiv and took part in the meeting of several discussion platforms.
Journalists representing several European countries received first-hand important information about the situation with the detention of political prisoners, civilian hostages and prisoners of war, the observance of human rights by the occupiers and invaders in places of imprisonment, and about the consequences of the full-scale invasion and restoration of Ukraine.
During the event, the following panels were held:
- Ukraine and the US elections: resistance to information manipulation and our narrative
- How to write about Russia's defeat?
- Key messages of Russian propaganda, the purposes of their application and approaches to their debunking
- Civilian prisoners of Crimea before and after February 24
- Systemic repressions by the Kremlin in the occupied territories
- Kidnapping of the civilian population as a systematic practice of the Russian Federation during the conduct of war
- Disappeared during the occupation: where does Russia keep Ukrainians?
- Russian aggression in Europe: the Ukrainian front
- The civilian population, as the least protected category of citizens of Ukraine during the war.
Date: May 25, 2023
Time: 10:00 AM (EET)- 13 30 PM (EET)
Location: Conference hall "Assembly", Hotel Ukraine
Moderator – Valentyna Samar (Crimean Center for Investigative Journalism, Editor-in-chief).